Know Thyself – still under construction

DSC_0001

Going with a heart behind the barbed wire, likely pointillism.

This entry was posted in Photography, Process and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Know Thyself – still under construction

1. Judy says:

Definitely interesting!

…if not a tad gruesome what with the barbed wire and skin. Certainly has an ‘eeeew’ factor, but *shrug* looking inside has got to be a little painful for most. Very few ‘Pure People’ left in this contentious world and an overwhelming number of the opposite. 😀

• Judy says:

I was trying to see where you were going with the barbed wire heart so I reread the bio. Is this art delving back into your childhood memories of wartime? It seems you had to learn some lessons too soon.

This piece is symbolism for a process just beginning and which will increasingly play a part in future works. The barbed wire represents not only a barrier to my memories, but also a protection against unpleasant ones in much the same way that good remembrances are easily and fondly at hand while others are quite repressed.

Going back over my history isn’t an easy task and, yes, my childhood in Holland was not a picnic. Without going into details, before I reached year seven, I had almost been murdered, had murderous thoughts of revenge, almost died from disease and much, much more.

Moving to Canada very likely saved my life even though I’d survived the flooding (in Holland) that killed so many in the early 50’s.

Before I can get to those oldest memories, I need to look at the life I still know best; those years of work since school. It’s not just about the things I’ve seen and done, but how they shaped me into the person I am today. This is what the baring of the heart is about. Time to use the cutters on that barbed wire and brush away the cobwebs.

Hopefully, as this painting is finished the idea of ‘remembering’ will promote various impactful images of my life reaching backwards in time.

• Judy says:

It may be difficult to revive the feelings of the boy you were, but I sure do hope that peace with those days will be the result given those realities were formative for the person you are now. It is a story with a happy ending and I look forward to the unfolding of the story through your art. Thank you for sharing it.

It IS a happy ending, after all. 😀

Thank you for taking the time to understand this project. After the Particle Collisions series, there seemed to be a need for me to go further with ‘Cause and Effect’.