Particle Collision #1

DSC_0001

After looking at some articles about the Large Hadron Collider and the after effects of particle collisions, I was stunned by their beauty. Having long been interested in the affinity ancient cultures had with spirals, I found it fascinating that here we are, with the newest and most fundamental research science has found itself involved in, that it should be nuclear particles, driven into each other at mind-boggling speeds within a massive circle, which then produces such amazing tracks.

Excuse me while I ponder the irony of such a thing…

OK, I’m over it 😀

This will be the first of a series based on that.

This entry was posted in My paintings, Photography, Process and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Particle Collision #1

lively composition
    ~
    dancingly active

2. artscottnet says:

Very creative. I like the simple lines and the solid shapes. There’s a lot going on, but it works; There’s no visual dissonance, everything flows smoothly. I like it!

Thanks. I tried to keep it very plain so that the tracks really stood out, but there is a lot of paint on that piece. Very thick… so much so that the green background actually IS a background.

I took the shot on a cloudy late afternoon, beside a north window, so that the colours were true, but this lessened the ‘bas relief’ effect that the thick lines and blocks have.

• artscottnet says:

Thank you for explaining how you took the photo… it’s tug o’war with my white balance every shot. Also…if I may… how do you get such clear crisp lines, is this all with a brush, or do you have a secret patented applicator of some kind =) Very impressive work

It’s all brush work in this piece. In my left hand is a large magnifying glass to make certain the paint is applied evenly.

• artscottnet says:

thank you… incredible work, looking forward to seeing more in this series

The initial preparations for #2 are underway as of this morning.

3. michaelmulholland says:

I love it…

4. j.h. white says:

This is wonderful….a grapevine would be impressed

5. simonhlilly says:

Nice! Your division of th field seems to emphasise the dynamics of each spin. Should be an interesting series!

6. plankpacer says:

Your thought process is fascinating, as is the inspiration behind your work. I love the graceful, yet graphic (two elements that don’t always show up together) quality of this piece. I envy your ability to handle acrylic so deftly!

7. This one appeals to me a lot, in the inspiration for it, the way you worked it out, the spirals, everything.
    thanks for regularly liking my posts over at artcalling. sarah

8. masqua says:

Your work is excellent, Sarah. I can’t help but click ‘like’ on them because of your use of colour and an eye to details.

And thank you for the comment on Particle Collision #1. As it happens, i finished the groundwork for #2 this morning and now gathering myself for the assault with brushes and paint tomorrow.

9. Rob McQueen says:

If this art is a result of your pondering, keep up the pondering.

10. thewhiteswan says:

Thank you for “liking” my painting Antonie, I have been enjoying your blog.
    I also find it fascinating and almost poetic when modern physics proves or discovers things that ancient peoples had already known as truths.
    I like this especially I think because it does not look “high-tech” but very organic.
    Karen

11. Dan Antion says:

I love it when art and science come together. Very nice.

12. Openobserver says:

Interesting “stuff”. Thanks for the like on “Things are not what they seem”. Appreciate it!

13. jodegray says:

I’m fascinated with these beautiful images too. . .
    Your lines are perfect, they look just like Macintosh and Art Nouveau, those artists where really seeing the natural flow of everything as science seems to be showing 🙂
    I’m glad to of found your blog.
    xx

14. Palmira G.Q. says:

This one is SO BEAUTIFUL! Lines, color and composition have such harmony! Nice work!!!

Thank you. #1 hanging in a gallery right now and I’m at home occasionally looking at the image on my blog, wondering if I perhaps should return to that style for #6, which is just now being pencilled in.

• Palmira G.Q. says:

I love #1, but I suppose that you have to follow your inside. In any case, many times just working things come out as they have to. Maybe you can do two different ones and remind yourself in which style you´re more comfortable in. Good luck! : )

It’s always a battle for me when starting another piece in a series, but, once the first bit of paint hits the surface, the piece paints itself. I do like #1 quite a lot and keep returning to that style.
        BTW… may I compliment you on your gorgeous works? I’m very impressed.

• Palmira G.Q. says:

Thank you very much!! I also wanted to tell you that when I read about your collision theory it reminded me of Dali. He was a science fan and applied the way the atoms expanded with the nuclear energy besides other things. You´ve got an interesting topic to develop!

…and a lot to digest. Isn’t it interesting that the smallest particles we know should become such a monumental science?