Project Pointillism Pareidolia – Midpoint

(1200×924)

The piece is lit by a common lamp from the left… too dull a morning for natural light, so, sorry ’bout that. I’m slowly developing two figures within the frame by eradicating any white unpainted surface still evident. No idea yet exactly what I’m dealing with here, but I’m ‘seeing’ a battle scene, possibly between samurai (as the head dressing on both seem very complicated).

Also, there is a distinct comparison to be made with Max Ernst’s ‘The Barbarians’: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1999.363.21

The figure on the left:

The figure on the right:

Close inspection will reveal a few gold and silver points placed within the bodies for reference as they are isolated from the background.

This entry was posted in Photography, Process and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Project Pointillism Pareidolia – Midpoint

1. ericaatje says:

Can’t wait to see it finished… Nice work! 😉

2. Your pointillism project amazes me. Beautiful work!

3. Chas Spain says:

Amazing – look forward to the unfolding stages Masqua

4. geeteeuu says:

Hi, thanks for “liking” one of my posts. I thought I’d take a look at what you write. I am loving this project! I did some pointilism inspired paintings in my high school art class days. Do you draw any inspiration from any of the surrealists at all?

Absolutely I do… both directly and indirectly. In the first case, it interests me since it presents an opportunity for self-realization in that it shows my unconscious state of mind much like a Rorschach test does and, in the second, it also hones my skills for visualizing form.

5. Pingback: Gee Blog

6. Diana says:

I would rather not know have realistic references, but that’s just me. 🙂 Lovely !

7. I enjoy reading about your process and I think it is interesting to see the images emerge.

Been dabbling again today and they’re starting to become much more distinct already. The fun part will be the headdress on both… I’m thinking Aztec or Samurai at the moment. The figure on the left seems to be attacking while the other is reacting to it by leaning back.

8. Looking forward to seeing how this develops, looks great so far!

9. Pareidolia is a fascinating human trait, used it many times myself, I like your twist on using pointillism to display your art work.