Project Irminsul – choosing borders

(click to enlarge)
The thinking behind the Irminsul was not confined solely to the Germanic peoples of Northern Europe as it is related to the ‘Tree of Life’ which has its roots (pun intended) in many cultures throughout the world.

For that reason, I’ve chosen two very different cultures to be represented in painting the borders. On the bottom is a motif related to Buddhism while the sides and top are from the Book of Kells.

This entry was posted in My paintings, Photography, Process and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Project Irminsul – choosing borders

1. ed Reliuga says:

Stunning….simply stunning. This piece of art, frankly, intrigues me as few have. To be honest….. I find my simply …….staring. Like a mandala, it draws me in (I enter willingly, enthralled) and it envelops me.

Beautiful.

Thanks, Ed. Because I know you are appreciative of things historical, particularly regarding certain ancient primitive cultures, I take that as high praise indeed.

2. Mesmerizing. I love the concept of eclectic spirituality, there is one truth beneath all the symbols.

3. rabirius says:

Excellent picture.

4. simonhlilly says:

Certainly has an unnerving presence. It remains, somehow. Maybe its the mirroring and perspective.

Could it be unnerving because it has place within our subconscious, like an archetype?

• simonhlilly says:

Maybe more that it is a thing, a presence, but not recognisable. Like an archetype it resonates with many types of object, but its form, colour, meaning, purpose are not appearent. It serves its own existence, intrudes upon ours.

5. I am truly drawn into your piece. Excellent work.

6. A commanding piece of work, Antonie. Thank you for sharing it.

7. Melinda says:

Great borders, they really complete/contain the piece. I just scrolled back to mid Feb to see the progress of this work. Its good to see the guts of a thing.

8. Kathy says:

This is really beautiful! How talented you are!