A stack of Historical Proportions

An assembly of some of my favourite reading material… primitive cultures and their practices which have not only survived into the modern world, but are of great contemporary interest. What is to be found in reading such material often has an illuminating effect in that it puts in perspective spiritual thinking. I believe it to be an arrow aimed at the heart of dogma.

This entry was posted in Photography, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to A stack of Historical Proportions

1. masqua says:

Excellent suggestion. I’ve read Collapse and Guns, Germs and Steel is on my bucket list. Now I have another to add, so thanks.

2. coyotero2112 says:

An imposing stack of knowledge you’ve laid out for yourself. Reminds me of Joseph Campbell, handing out his reading list to students at Sarah Lawrence, and one of the students telling him no One could read all on the list in a semester. He told her she had a lifetime, not a semester. A difference of horizons.
    Later….

There’s reading, then there’s speed reading and finally, there’s my method… the dartboard method. In this way, I read bits from various books over the years until I finally have taken all of it in.

There are a few non-fiction books which I’ve read (and re-read) cover to cover over a stretch of time. For instance, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire which I found to be important in understanding contemporary events. I have a tattered edition which I’ll be photographing in a future post and plan to add a few tidbits which might tempt people to also pick it up.

It’s a daunting book, though… almost two and a half centuries have passed since the book was published in its entirety (1776) which makes for a difficult lexicon.

But, hey… so is the St James edition of the bible. šŸ˜€

• coyotero2112 says:

When I left the world of bookstores and Wal-Marts I had to downsize from hundreds to 25 books…and I read all of them all the time. That’s why all my sort of book reviews cover books that are easy to pick up at any point, or are compartmentalized in essays, articles, or novellas which I can read on a bus or boat trip. It has definitely changed the way I think, this mish-mosh of words, thoughts, opinions, and style.
        Later…

3. simonhlilly says:

“Shamanism and Tantra in the Himalayas” is that not a beautiful book? One that is hardly ever conceived these days, so many colour plates ! Even for T &H its a bit of a miracle it got made.( here in the UK it wa published by Thames and Hudson). The other I see is ” Quest for the Shaman”, which I was seriously irritated by. I know Miranda is a well- known subject leader, but at best she is pretty dry reading. Here I felt her squirming at the possible approbation of her academic peers when it came to anything that approached a novel idea or educated guess. It read like a PhD thesis with rigid chapter structures and lack of any understanding of the heart of the subject. A shame, ….( I was particularly pissed off at the time as I had a project on unknown Celtic coin art summararily dismissed by T&H about that time!)

Agreed on both points.

Shamanism and Tantra is a remarkable book. The plates are fantastic and can be studied with a magnifying glass (as I have done). The information which accompanies those images is not easily found elsewhere.

On ‘Quest’, you can tell how often I’ve gone back to it by looking at the pristine quality of the cover. The drawings which are included were what prompted me to buy it in the first place.

• simonhlilly says:

I did manage to get through it, but it was either badly written or badly edited. Aggravating lack of necessary information for such a heavily footnoted amd referenced book.

thanks for sharing

~

I like the above comments

I’m still finishing book lists

from university

knowledge, learning

is definitely a lifetime pursuit

5. 2Spools says:

What a marvelous visual. We can list books, but the connection between one book to another is tricky to see. In the right context, this is splendid of saying a lot without saying too much.

6. Melinda says:

Nice one. I’ve got a horizontal spread of books on the Muscogee (Creek), my ancestors and the tribe to which I belong..