Loon Family on Portage Lake

Portage Lake 019

The call of a loon on a quiet northern lake is, to me, the soul of the Canadian northlands. Abundant lakes and rivers, both isolated and easy to access, spread across the country from the east coast to the Rocky Mountains.

Once heard, their eerie wavering calls are never forgotten.

This entry was posted in Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Loon Family on Portage Lake

1. As a Canadian, looking at this image I can hear the soulful call of the loons. Unforgettable.

2. Annie's Place says:

I can’t wait for the loons to return. We also enjoy them here in Minnesota.

They are amazing birds… quite intelligent and fiercely protective of their young. To hear their call at dawn as we laze about is quite an experience.

3. I Nominate you for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award . Please accept and opblidge. http://bearspawprint.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/5396/

Thank you. I’ve been negligent in the past regarding these awards. I believe I’ve received a half dozen or so and done nothing because I have no idea how to put the award on my page as I’ve seen others do.

• me neither …. but I could answer this one question, and pass it on to others…. I do have other “Awards” still pending … if I can find them to do the obliging part… been naughty there are even 2012 ones somewhere in cyber land. I think you can copy/paste in onto your “about” page (I don’t have one) or some folk seem to have a widget to put them in the side column. Not me. I just wanted you to know I like your art and appreciate that someone as talented and disciplined as you (you) noticed what I was posting. Bet you have readers who might appreciate that you noticed them noticing….Thank you for all you have done—-Granny Bear

And thank you, Granny Bear. Whenever I see one of your posts (or reposts), I immediately click on it because I know we are kindred spirits in a multitude of ways. Besides, I’m about to be a grandfather this summer and I believe you, more than most, understand what that station in life truly means. 😉

😀 August can’t come soon enough 😀

4. I live in upstate NY, and the call of the loon makes me think of the Adirondacks….such a beautiful, peaceful sound.

Beautiful birds